Saturday, February 5, 2011

I'm focussed on the toys first. which bike?

I know hardened travellers may scoff at this but I don't care. The trip doesn't happen if I haven't got the tools to do it with. The bike of course. Well I do have a bike, three in fact but I suspect I will have to find a more suitable ride to suit the off-road sections. I'm lucky enough to have Two Triumph tigers, one in UK and one here in Australia. I also have an off road trail bike, TTR250. Ideally, I'd take both of these bikes and select which one suits the particular road. As if that's going to happen.

For the past 6 months or so I've been keeping an eye on the best bike for the job that also suits me. I mean, everyone and their dog buys a BMW GS Charley & Ewan model with all the Touratech goodies. 
They usually buy the matching outfit, helmet, jacket. underwear and so on. I thought the GS1200 was OK for the job, but it doesn't exactly move the soul. 'Tractor-like' or 'agricultural' are the words I've heard describing these machines.

A motorbike may be a very personal thing. you have a relationship with it, it takes you to where you want to go, it excites you, gets you into trouble, and gets you out again, saves your life and gives you a life. I want a bit more than a tractor please.

So the short list is ... GS1200 (just in case I can't find anything else), Yamaha Tenere1200, Triumph XC800 or my trusty Tiger 1050.
Next move is the test drive. The XC has just been released in UK so will take a while to get here probably, the Tenere will be my first move.

No comments:

Post a Comment